Can Turmeric Help Get Rid Of Acne? Instructions Included.
Turmeric, the golden spice that gives curry and other foods their flavor, is a well-known anti-inflammatory herb that is said to clear up acne and treat acne scars. Traditional Ayurvedic medicine has used this herb for thousands of years, but modern science isn’t sure about these specific benefits. However, the herb is generally safe to use and is found in many different skincare products on the market today.
The Benefits of Turmeric
Even though more than 300 parts of turmeric have been found, curcumin is the one that has been studied the most. Curcumin seems to be the main ingredient that gives turmeric its health benefits, which are many and varied. It shows promise as a treatment for arthritis, diabetes, and Alzheimer’s disease. Researchers are also looking into whether turmeric can help fight cancer.
Acne is caused in part by the bacteria Propionibacterium acnes, which is the most common bacteria on human skin.
Antibiotics like erythromycin and clindamycin, along with azelaic acid, are often used to treat acne that is very bad. But because drug resistance is getting worse, scientists are always testing new antimicrobial agents.
Curcumin is one thing that has been looked into as a possible cause. A 2013 article says that when curcumin is mixed with lauric acid, it has antibacterial effects against a number of bacteria, including P. acnes.
Several preliminary studies show that the curcumin in turmeric may reduce inflammation in humans, and a 2017 article says that “research suggests that curcumin can help in the management of oxidative and inflammatory conditions.”
Even though there are some signs that turmeric’s anti-inflammatory properties might also work on acne, there haven’t been any large clinical trials on its ability to help improve or cure acne.
Bacteria can contribute to the formation of acne. Bacteria live on everyone’s skin, and when combined with too much oil and dead skin cells, they can block hair follicles and make acne worse.
A 2016 systematic review found that curcumin, which is a compound found in turmeric, may help treat skin conditions like acne. This is what makes up about 90% of the curcuminoid in the plant.
Curcumin is an antimicrobial, which means it may fight the bacteria that cause acne. This includes a type of bacteria called Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes), which can play a big role in the condition.
Also, new research from 2019 shows that some antibiotics no longer work on P. acnes. This has led scientists to study how curcumin affects drug-resistant strains of the bacteria.
Researchers found that curcumin could fight off strains of P. acnes that were resistant to antibiotics in rats.
Using a rat as a model, they also found that whiteheads and blackheads could be reduced by putting curcumin and lauric acid in a gel and applying it to the skin. The team came to the conclusion that curcumin might be a good way to treat bacterial skin diseases.
A 2013 study on pig skin also found that curcumin and lauric acid could stop the growth of bacteria when used together.
In the same way, P. acnes was much less able to live when researchers in 2018 used low-level blue light to boost the antimicrobial effects of curcumin.
Even though there is more and more evidence that curcumin can help fix skin problems in the lab, there is not enough research to say whether or not using turmeric to treat acne at home is safe or effective.
How to use fresh turmeric to treat acne
Fresh turmeric is a good way to treat dark spots, and you can do so in one of the following ways:
- Fresh turmeric and honey can be used to treat acne: Wash the turmeric, peel it, and then pound or puree it. Use it on acne-prone skin that has been cleaned. Wash it off with water after about 15 to 20 minutes. Fresh turmeric and honey are a great way to get rid of dark spots. You should use this mask two or three times a week to reduce acne, prevent acne, and make your skin more even and brighter.
- Fresh turmeric and rice water can be used to treat acne. Wash and peel the turmeric, then pound or puree it. Mix the turmeric juice with rice water and spread it evenly on the skin that has acne. Gently massage for 15 to 20 minutes, then rinse. Fresh turmeric mixed with rice water should be used to treat dark spots twice a week. This will help get rid of dark spots and make the skin brighter and smoother. This method is especially good for people with sensitive skin.
- Fresh turmeric and sugar-free yogurt can be used to treat dark spots: Wash and peel the turmeric, then pound or puree it. Mix the turmeric juice with unsweetened yogurt and apply it to acne-prone skin. Gently massage for a few minutes.
- Use fresh turmeric and lemon to get rid of dark spots. Wash turmeric, peel it, and then pound or puree it. Mix turmeric juice with lemon juice and a little warm water to put on acne-prone skin, massage gently, and relax. For 10–15 minutes, then rinse with clean water.
- Fresh turmeric and egg yolk can be used to treat acne. Wash and peel the turmeric, then pound or puree it. Mix it with beaten egg yolks to make a thick paste. After you wash your skin, put a thin layer of fresh turmeric and egg yolk on it, let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes, and then wash it off with warm water.
What about turmeric powder?
Fresh turmeric is a good way to treat acne, but what about turmeric powder? In fact, both fresh turmeric and turmeric powder work well to treat acne. But if you have a lot of time, you can crush fresh turmeric and put it directly on acne-prone skin. This will make it easy for the skin to absorb the essence of the turmeric, which will treat dark spots.
Powdered turmeric has the same effect as fresh turmeric, but it is hard to find pure powdered turmeric in stores. Pure turmeric powder is a dark yellow, while mixed turmeric powder is usually a lighter yellow.
Curcumin is a compound found in turmeric. There are early signs that it can reduce inflammation and kill bacteria. As a result, some researchers have found that the compound may be able to help with some skin problems like acne.
Scientists are now looking into all the ways curcumin might be good for your health. But a lot more research needs to be done before doctors can say for sure if turmeric is a safe and effective way to treat acne.
Talk to your doctor or a dermatologist before taking turmeric pills or putting it on your skin.
HealthNip does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Any information published on this website or by this brand is not intended as a substitute for medical advice, and you should not take any action before consulting with a healthcare professional.